2011年3月22日火曜日

Stubborn, Naive, Insensitive Me

Last week I was frustrated about how my friends' family and friends were demanding them to leave Japan, so I decided to contact some press. Here was my plea:


Dear Michael,

How are you? Are things well in San Diego?I am currently in Japan as an Assistant Language Teacher of English through the JET Programme. My friend and I would like to explain our situation in Ishikawa prefecture, the west coast of Japan, and ask your help.

In the past few days, the nuclear threat has grown and with it fear and anxiety all over the world. Many of our friends and family members in the U.S. have been constantly following the news and worried that the radiation will spread all over Japan. However, currently there are no reports specifically concerning the west coast and the greater area of Japan.The reports that are being published and broadcast in the U.S. and Japan vary and this is disconcerting. Many of the foreigners in Japan feel as if the American press are sensationalizing events in Tohoku area to the point where it seems applicable to the entire nation. Or at least, this is what friends and family back home seem to think. It's hard to know what to believe and who to trust when family members and friends are relying on American press, which doesn't cover the rest of Japan. Because of this, there has been a lot of personal pressure to return home, while most of the foreigners here feel safe. However, we have been under a lot of stress due to the uncertainty and lack of information pertaining to areas outside of the Tohoku region.

For example, my friend's family has explicitly demanded for her return even after she has explained why she feels Ishikawa is safe from the radiation--distance of over 200 miles, current wind conditions, trust in the Japanese government and radiation detectors, trust in the JET Programme, everything is going about in the town as usual. There have also been reactions such as this blog entry: http://ishikawajet.wordpress.com/2011/03/18/unreliable-news/

Would it possible to do a report on the risks of radiation on other parts of Japan or could you refer us to someone? We think this would benefit many people as it would alleviate anxiety for those living in and out of Japan. This is not a request to take away the focus from the real crisis in Tohoku, but to ask for more information about Japan.

Thank you for your time and for reading this.


Unfortunately, the article became more of a human interest piece where I feel I came off as stubborn, naive and a bit insensitive. Here's the piece: http://www.10news.com/news/27245686/detail.html

Just a few notes on what was left out because I forgot to say it or because it was cut:
  • If something were to happen and it was certain it would affect my side of Japan, I would definitely consider leaving. But all the reports focused on Tohoku / Kanto region. The U.S. embassy has asked people living on eastern Japan to consider returning to the States.
  • In my city, there's a radiation detector (check previous post), an airport for quick escape and a Japanese Self Defense Force base.
  • I was asked whether or not my area was affected by the shortages. My response was along the lines of, "No. We're not a part of the rotating power outages, we're not seeing a lack of food or water supplies. Actually, our prefecture is sending food, water and supplies over to affected areas."
  • I was asked how my parents had reacted initially. And right when I commented on my mother's reaction, "She said she's had a lot of trouble sleeping. When she called, she was crying. That's really tough to see," I knew they were going to use that. I sort of smiled because I felt like I trapped myself. :O However, after I spoke with my parents early last week (days before the interview) I had already convinced them I was safe.
  • My biggest concern had been about the lack of information outside of the Tohoku/Kanto area and that people don't understand that the crisis has not physically affected all of Japan (although mentally, we are heart broken to see the news as much as anyone else). This was only mentioned briefly towards the bottom of the article:
  • Nuclear experts 10News spoke to say the danger -- even under the worst-case scenario -- remains small because Lam is far enough away.

    Lam said for many that message has gotten lost as the U.S. media has focused on the reactor site, sparking fears among loved ones at home.

    Please remember to read the full articles, not only the headlines. Also, pay attention to where the news is concerning. Is it all of Japan or just one part?

    There IS a crisis going on in parts of Japan, especially a humanitarian crisis. Please remember that there are thousands of people whose lives have been taken or who are still missing. I'd like to ask everyone to focus their prayers on those in those affected areas. They are still homeless, lacking food, lacking water and lacking supplies. Many of us
    in Ishikawa have been doing our best to help those in need by donating blood, donating money, donating goods and offering our homes to those involved in the disasters:

    http://www.couchsurfing.org/group.html?gid=39703

    I am extremely grateful that Michael Chen agreed to pitch the story and that he interviewed me. I just wanted to clarify some points that may have been buried or mising in the article. I hope people can understand the perspective I was trying to show.

    [Update] Read this article to see other opinions on sensationalized news:

    http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nn20110321f1.html

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿