2010年2月5日金曜日

What's a Bonenkai?

Around the start of the holiday season you'll hear this word thrown around a lot, "bonenkai."

"Are you going to your bonenkai?"
"Where is your bonenkai going to be this year?"
"Oh man...at last year's bonenkai a teacher got so drunk that he stripped and danced on the tables. You should definitely go to your bonenkai. Its the only time you'll really get a chance to see your teachers in a different light."

Really now? What does all of that mean?

-------------------

A bonenkai is a year-end party that is usually held by the office or workplace. Its usually held towards the end of December at a separate location. So it varies for each company or office, but a lot of the schools in Ishikawa choose onsen hotels as their party spot. Usually theres a lot of food involved, some entertainment, and free time to go play in the onsens.

I wasn't sure what my bonenkai would be like. The other teachers asked if I would like to go and I pretty much said, "hell yes." I think they were surprised that I would want to go with a bunch of strangers, but I figured it would be the best chance to get to know everyone. So I put in my 5,000 yen, which is considered extremely reasonable since most bonenkais cost an upward of 10,000 yen (approx. $100) for one night. I was wondering what my $50 would get me...

The day of the event, I was approached by one of the English teachers here. She said she was heading out an hour early to enjoy the onsen and offered to take me with her. I filled out paperwork for and took my first hour of nenkyuu, which is paid leave, and we headed off to the nearby city of Kaga. When we arrived at the hotel, we followed a hostess to the room and she served us tea and wagashi. YUM. We were given a number of robes, which they call yukata, which we could wear after using the onsen. After finishing our refreshments, the teacher and I headed to the indoor onsen.

Tea and Wagashi

Getting served and getting clothes

All the things I need after I finish at the onsen

That wasn't the first time I've been to a public bathhouse. For you San Dieagans, there's a Korean spa next to the Nozomi on Convoy that requires you to be nude in the spa if you get a massage. (Just a little FYI) However, it was the first time I've been to an onsen in Japan, and also the first time I've actually been with another person. I went alone in San Diego and knew no one. Obviously, its a little uncomfortable at first, but if you just think about the pleasant conversation and look up, instead of down, it's all good.

Anyway, the hair products and skin care products they have available are pretty good. Smelled great and felt great. :) Definitely an enjoyable experience. After that I got to put on my pink yukata!

In my pink yukata

The young teachers' room

When we got back to the hotel room, the other teachers had arrived. They quickly put away their things and we all headed down to the banquet room to rehearse for the entertainment portion of dinner. A week or two before bonenkai, I let the other teachers know that I was interested in helping out with the entertainment. I agreed to sing a song with my supervisor!

Look at all those tables!

At the rehearsal

Soon all of the teachers and staff started to come in to the banquet room. There were at least 30 people there and they filled the room. We were served tons of dishes. Dish after dish...I felt like dinner would continue forever! As soon as dinner began, teachers took turns going around and greeting all the other teachers by pouring beer/tea for them as a gesture of gratitude. Usually, you're supposed to start with the top staff of the school/company. So, teachers started with pouring for the principal, vice principals, head of the administrative office, etc. I took this time to eat and be a glutton. As soon as I felt full, I went and poured beer for them and had a quick little chat. Then I went back to my table and found more food! Haha! I proceeded to eat the new dishes given. Then the entertainment started!

People slowly coming in~ I actually recognize people now! When I took this photo, I had no idea who was who.

The start of my dinner

From left to right: Principal, Vice Principal, Yoneda-Sensei (Math), Horita-Sensei (English)

Two teachers pretended to be a host and hostess of a variety show and introduced all of the acts. The principal and the two vice principals were judges. My portion of the show: Jingle Bell Rock.

Kitamura-Sensei (Art) and Yoneda-Sensei (Math)




My score out of 10...10! 10! 10! Yeah...its because I'm the new girl, but I'll still take it! :D

After the show, we played various games. There was a raffle for a huge prize and we also played bingo. I won some bath salts...they smell so good! I haven't had the chance to use them yet.

My prize: Bath salts

When the games were finished, everyone went back to eating or greeting. I decided to try meeting all of the teachers by taking some beer around. I got at least half of the teachers, but then dinner ended and we were all asked to head over to the karaoke room.

I must have gained 10 pounds that night.

Now, when I say karaoke room, I don't mean an individual room. This was a huge room with one stage and two mics. Other companies or schools were also there using the room, so our school had to share the stage with them. If you wanted to sing, you had to write down the number and give it to the hotel staff. I put in a song, but I didn't get to sing it until the end of the night. It was fun seeing all of the teachers and staff, who are usually quite serious, let loose on the mic and dance floor. It was a little crazy! Well...crazy for Japanese standards anyway.


The woman in brown is the other VP, and the one on the very right is the Admin boss

Go Kochou-sensei!


Karaoke ended around midnight or one. Everyone dispersed and went to do their own things. The teachers in my room wanted to go to the onsen, but I was tired so I went to bed. I got up around 5am to go to the onsen on my own, but I ended up waking two other teachers. They went with me to the indoor onsen. I was a bit disappointed because I wanted to go to the other onsen, which ended up being an outdoor onsen, but the teachers accompanying me had gone to that one after karaoke. Sadly, I still haven't been to an outdoor onsen. Not yet anyway.

After the onsen we headed to the banquet hall for a huge Japanese style breakfast. This was the end of the bonenkai. At 9am, we left the hotel. Super early right? But I guess that's how they roll. Party all night and then go straight home afterward!


0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿