2010年1月12日火曜日

New life in a New Home

My apartment building


In my last post, I briefly mentioned my adjustments in my new apartment, but there's so much more to talk about. I'm currently sleeping on a futon, which is a thin mattress on the floor, not the fold out couch beds. I bought a kotatsu, which is a table with a heater underneath and a blanket that covers it. I'm starting to regret this, because I don't have any chairs nor do I have a couch, so my legs get tired quickly from sitting on the ground all the time.

For three weeks, when I was just biking, I couldn't get any furniture on my own. That meant I couldn't get any furniture at all. So, I all I had were my futon and kotatsu. My kitchen and bedroom lacked shelves and dressers. Did I mention that my kitchen only has one stove and no counter space? I desperately needed a shelf to put food on and counter space to cut up ingredients. Also, my closet has these oddly large open spaces...it's easier if I just show you my apartment in my first week:



I'm happy to say that now I have shelf space in both my kitchen and bedroom. And, I've finally figured out how to dry my clothing! While the school lent me a washer, dryers are not common here in Japan. Everyone hang dries their clothing. I use a pole that I place right below my heater and my clothes dry overnight. Too be honest, I think its ridiculous. My clothes smell strange if I hang them outside and the jeans become hard and uncomfortable to wear. At least I have a car now, so I can drive to the laundromat whenever I feel like its worth it to spend $3 on drying my clothes (yes $3 just for drying alone). But unlike in the States, I have to do my laundry once or even twice a week since the washer is tiny and there's no where to keep my dirty laundry. :T Oops...TMI?

Anyway, even though I've been here for a month, I am still trying different ways to organize and utilize my space. At least I don't have to worry about the mess I make given that I live alone! This is my first time actually living on my own without any apartment-mates and family. I miss being scolded by my parents, Sandy, Mary-Ann, Christine, etc. :) I have to learn to motivate myself to keep up with the upkeep. ...Maybe I will once I've actually settled in and decided where everything goes...

I'm missing you all and all your smiling faces. <3

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿